Expect the unexpected… or at least prepare for it. Change happens on a daily basis and many businesses often find themselves in a state of reaction, triggering unnecessary levels of stress, uncertainty, and risk. Having strategies and IT infrastructure in place to quickly accommodate change can be instrumental in ensuring the business does not fall behind.
Let’s take a look at the Coronavirus, for example. I don’t believe any business was fully prepared for how fast the virus impacted the world or how drastically it changed how we live our day-to-day lives. Some companies already had remote strategies in place that could easily be implemented by non-essential workers. Many other businesses, on the other hand, have had a more challenging experience, struggling to navigate their company through this pandemic while keeping up with shifts in business priorities.
Manufacturing businesses that run on a Web-based ERP system are able to mitigate the number of complications and IT roadblocks that they may otherwise encounter with older systems. This modern infrastructure is designed to ensure employees are able to conduct business at a high-level no matter if it is from their corporate or home office.
Here is why Web-based ERP is thriving:
- Optimal Accessibility – No matter if you are a sales representative traveling to an appointment, a production manager on vacation, or an essential worker exercising “social distancing” during a pandemic, ERP accessibility is critical. ERP software systems that are Web-based allow users to access critical information in real-time as long as they have a reliable internet connection. This strategy allows the Web browser to act as the front-end ERP interface while the data is safely stored and accessed from a server located somewhere else.
- Platform Agnostic – A Web-based ERP system does not restrict its compatibility with various software platforms. Whether a user’s device is running on a Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, or iOS operating system, companies are able to leverage their existing technology without having to make significant investments in new systems.
- Streamlined Maintenance – Traditional on-premise ERP software environments require localized installations which could range from ten to hundreds of individual devices across multiple facilities. As IT upgrades or maintenance become necessary, keeping all of them up to date can be challenging and time-consuming which is often why many companies become “stuck” in a dated ERP environment. Web-based platforms require IT teams to upgrade the server only once in order for all the clients to have access to new features. If team members are working remotely or there is one IT team to service multiple facilities, this helps ensure the ERP remains current and powerful.
- Consistent User Experience – The ERP environment is centralized on one server so every user will experience the same user interface with a single login and workflow no matter what device they are accessing it from. Consistency across PCs, smartphones, and tablets play a critical role in end-user training and adoption throughout the entire organization.
In the past year, we have seen a significant surge in customers – existing and new – shifting to a cloud-based environment. While Deacom’s flagship solution, DEACOM ERP, is Web-based, our Managed Cloud Services enables businesses to place a larger focus on their growth rather than maintaining their ERP deployment.
Many manufacturers with limited IT resources or aggressive growth trajectories are turning to Deacom’s Managed Cloud Services for:
- Scalability – As a company grows, Deacom’s team is always monitoring the ERP’s performance to determine if and when an upgrade is necessary. With the customer’s approval, the team will take the lead on an upgrade process without further actions required from the customer.
- Reliability – With worldwide redundancy, Deacom is able to deliver 99.9% guaranteed industry-standard uptime and reliability.
- Security – From fires to firewalls, all aspects of data security is managed by Deacom’s in-house team of IT professionals. Therefore, customers can focus on growing their business, and not worry about whether or not their information is safe.
- Performance – Database optimization, including defragmentation, indexing, and general server performance tuning – both hardware and software – is handled by Deacom. This maximizes the speed with which data is retrieved so critical business decisions can be made quickly.
No matter how you deploy your ERP, ensure you are taking steps to be proactive, not reactive. Each day, the world around us changes and it’s important to ensure all possibilities are considered in order to maintain, or advance, your position in the market.